THE GREATER JACKSONVILLE AGRICULTURAL FAIR HISTORY
Since holding its first fair in 1955 with a total 45,000 visitors in attendance, the Greater Jacksonville Agricultural Fair has been educating, enlightening and informing the people of North Florida about science, the arts, agriculture and horticulture.
The Greater Jacksonville Fair Association is a private, 501(c)3 not-for-profit educational corporation chartered by the state of Florida and dedicated to maintaining a high-quality family fair.
The Fair’s original home was the former Gator Bowl (now transformed into the Jacksonville Municipal Stadium). However, in May of 1989, the Greater Jacksonville Agricultural Fair Association broke ground on its permanent home adjacent its prior location. In 1990, the first fair was held at the new fairground facility, entertaining more than 700,000 patrons.
The Fair operates under the direction of a volunteer board of directors and volunteer membership. Volunteers are an integral part of the Fair’s success since well over 500 volunteers participate in the development and presentation each year.
The Greater Jacksonville Agricultural Fair is the largest fair/festival in northeast Florida and is currently ranked 47th in the United States by Amusement Business. The fair has an estimated economic impact on Duval County in excess of $10 million. The impact to the City of Jacksonville through lease revenues, and revenues from parking during the 12 days of the fair is annually in excess of $195,000.
The fair impacts the community in other ways too. Since its inception, the fair has made contributions totaling approximately $3.1 million to charitable and civic organizations. This year marks the 60th Greater Jacksonville Agricultural Fair and we want you to share in the fun!